I’m amazed at the laser-like focus job seekers have on finding a job by target only “jobs.” You join a company. You don’t join a job!
Regardless of whether you desperately need a job, would like to find an alternate job, or want to evaluate the market to review better opportunities, I suggest to first target companies. Here’s how to target the best companies in your job search.
For most, the company you work for will have a far greater impact on your overall professional growth than the individual responsibilities you perform in your particular job.
Think about it. Would you rather have absorbed the pedigree from being part of a NFL Super Bowl team or would you rather be the ace pitcher on a MLB team whose record is 62 wins and 100 loses?
I’m going to help you get started…
- About your profession, industry, and organizations you could work for
- About your competitors
- Start generating a list of companies in your field (or targeted field) you could investigate
- Review the companies’ career sites
- Public Companies: SEC’s Edgar Site has public annual information on the companies (http://www.sec.gov/edgar.shtm)
- Private: Site’s or offerings like Hoover’s (http://www.hoovers.com/)
“BEST COMPANIES” and “FASTEST GROWING” LISTS
There are so many . I’ve combed through the Internet and identified:
- 16 Best Companies/Fastest Growing Lists
- 3 Best By Size
- 22 Best by Industry
I listed them in a handy document for you: Check out the FREE DOWNLOAD of my favorite Best Companies and Fastest Growing Companies Lists!
BOOKS & BLOGS
- Find authors and bloggers in your space
- They’ll comment on the industry trends, companies, etc.
- You can search
- You can review company pages
- You can see if you know anyone who works there
I’ve combed through the Internet and have created a list of my nine favorite general job search boards and fourteen niche boards. Check out the FREE DOWNLOAD of my favorite job boards!
- Look at the openings
- Look at the reviews
COMPANY EVALUATION SITES
Want more advanced material? Join the milewalk Academy and grab some of the free offerings that support the instruction in this post!